Schools and districts implementing 21st century assessment initiatives face a multitude of challenges, from reassessing curriculum and instruction to sustaining new practices. The QPA process takes into account existing systems and capacities, building on strengths and offering new ideas and tools to create a robust assessment engine.
CCE team members work with schools, districts and state departments of education to help staff and administrators learn and customize the QPA process, design common practices, and establish shared accountability for results. All team members are educators familiar with the rewards and challenges facing schools and districts as they learn the fundamentals of performance assessment design and implement new systems.
CCE’s publication Quality Performance Assessment: A Guide for Schools and Districts includes tools and other resources specifically designed to build educators’ competency in performance assessment. The QPA Guide is the basis of our core offerings and professional development services and applies the data-based inquiry mindset to instruction and assessment.
Professional Development Core Offerings
1. Assessment Literacy and Performance Assessment Design
- Task design and validation
- Rubric development
- Scoring and calibration
- Rigorous aligned instruction
2. Community of Practice Development
3. Capstone and Portfolio Design
4. Common Performance Assessment Field Testing
5. Instruction and Assessment Systems Alignment
- Competency design
- Assessment audit
- Habits, skills, and dispositions integration
- College and Career Readiness standards and other learning targets
Advice and support for states and districts seeking to effect systemic and legislative change around important topics related to measuring student progress and attainment through performance assessment with technical quality, at scale.
Examples of our policy advisory services include:
- Policy papers or briefs
- State-wide assessment literacy in districts
- State and district performance assessment documentation